Tuesday 1 July 2014

He doesn't want to introduce me to his parents

Susan says:
My boyfriend and I (ages 22 and 21, respectively) have been officially together for a little over 2 years. We are very much in love and everything is perfect except for this one thing - we are of different cultures and although he is loved and accepted by my family, its his family that would have an issue with him dating someone that is not of the same culture. As a result, he has never introduced me to his parents. I understand that cultures differences may be tricky, but I just don't see how this relationship can turn into anything further unless I can meet his parents.
He says that they will not be tolerant of me and it will cause a lot of issues in our relationship that could ultimately lead to its end, and he doesn't get why I'm even trying to push the issue. Ive suggested being introduced as 'just a friend' or even just casually bumping into his parents 'randomly' and having him introduce me then, but he's still even hesitant about that.

I know he's not 'ashamed' or 'embarassed' by me or anything like that because he's introduced me to all of his friends, so I just dont know what else I should/could even do about the situation.

Am I wrong for trying to push meeting his parents? Does anyone have any ideas on what I could be doing to resolve this issue? Ive been talking to our mutual friends about this issue, but no one can seem to find a solution. Please let me know what you think about this situation or any advice. Thanks! 


The answer depends on what you want. If what you've got is enough for you, let it go and accept it. However I suspect that ISN'T enough for you. You will always have the worry that his family will at some point intervene and end it. Are you prepared to live with at risk? Only you can answer that question, and the answer determines what you should do next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment