Wednesday 21 May 2014

I've got a teen uncle!

Anonymous says:
I'm a 13 y/o girl, with a younger 11 y/o brother and we have an uncle whose 18 y/o. Little back story I got from mom, our grandma was 18 and granddad was 21, they were boyfriend/girlfriend, at the same time, became young parents to my dad and his twin (our other uncle)

Dad and uncle, grew up mostly with my great grandparents, so grandma could attend college, while granddad was away in the army. Our dad and uncle grew up to become army men themselves, when they were 21 y/o in the army, our uncle died, it left dad in a terrible state, due to the loss of his twin. Then at 23 y/o, dad became a big brother to our 2nd uncle, to ease the pain of the lost uncle, so, dad could have a brother again. This is the uncle, who is just 5 years older to me, 7 years older to my brother.
 

From my grade 1, till my grade 7, he used to be with us in the same school, now he is in college. We love him obviously and look at him as an 'older brother figure', he does have a protective nature towards me. But sometimes I feel weird, having to tell people that he is my uncle, I can't lie on it and have to tell that he is my uncle...people have mistaken him as my brother/cousin, at some point people thought he was my boyfriend O_o

Our uncle was given a space by dad, to live at our home and attend college at the same time. Dad kinda treats him like a 'son' rather than a brother and dad is 41, still in the army. I feel awkward at times, is it normal for such family age gaps ? 


You'd be surprised how common this is - there's plenty of teen uncles and aunts everywhere. It's all very normal, natural and often nice. Never be ashamed of those who care about you. Be proud and grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment