Tuesday 28 January 2014

How do I make my boyfriend quit smoking?

Chelsea says:
I'm in a relatively new relationship (a couple months) with someone with some really bad habits. One of these habits is smoking. I detest smoking for myself personally but really because so many in my family have developed lung cancer whichthe docs have attributed ro ther smoking habitsand, in the case of my grandfather, second hand smoke. So many have died and it's very upsetting to think that he smokes for no good reason. I don't know how much he smokes per daybecause when I am with him he doesn't. Some days I am with him for six hours, others only a couple. He hadmentioned trying to quitforme and because he had stopped aroundme I assumed he reallywas but then he was 30min late one day and he smelled like freshly smoked cigarettes, now he's backtracking saying that he only can if I'm around because I distract him from wanting his smoke. My problem is I can't see him for long becausemy parents don't know about him, but I can't until he quits but he cannot when I'm not around. 

The bottom line is that he is a smoker, and if you want to be with him, that's what you have to accept, unless you deliver an ultimatum or declare it a deal-breaker. You are wanting to have cake and eat it. Relationships are all about consent not coercion. If you are trying to force him to give up, you are undermining the relationship from the start.

Accept it and him or reject it and him, simple as that. You will have to decide what's more important - your feelings for him or your family-wide aversion to smoking. The right choice is whatever your heart rather than logic tells you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment